Monday, April 25, 2011

A Tree, a Rock, a Cloud

I thought this short story was a little creepy.  I don't consider it normal for someone to tell a stranger that they love them, especially when an older man tells a young boy that.

The old man who is drinking at the bar is an interesting guy.  He seems to have been many places and seen many things.  Most of his traveling was done trying to find his wife who apparently ran off with another man.  I thought is was really weird that a 30 year old woman would marry a 57 year old man after only knowing him three days.  They could not have had a strong relationship.  It's really not too surprising that she ran away.

The old man says he loves her, but there has to come a time where the love fades.  If she loved him too then she would have stayed.  I don't know why he wastes his time looking for her year after year.

During his search the man says that he has developed a science for loving.  He explains that he could love a ray of sunlight or a bird that is flying around.  I assume this is why the tells the boy that he loves him at the beginning of the story.  If I was the boy I would not stick around to find out what the man had to say.  I would get out of there as fast as I could.  I don't understand why Leo doesn't help the boy either.  There are several times when the boy looks over to Leo for help, but Leo just shrugs it off.  Leo doesn't seem like a nice person.

I'm really not too sure of what the main idea of the story is.  Made it's that everything can be loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment