Saturday, April 9, 2011

42-89 Deliverance

As I read these pages I kept asking myself "why"?  Why are these men taking this canoeing trip?  I have yet to hear a good reason.  Ed himself admits several times that he doesn't want to go, and I don't blame him.  There are many, many signs that point to something going wrong.  For one Lewis is not a capable guide.  Even though he has more experience than any of the other guys, combined, he is still an amateur.  He may think he knows what to do, but deep down he doesn't.  He tells the story about him breaking his ankle twice.  Each time Ed just sits there and listens.  It should throw up a red flag that tells him to stop.  Lewis is also notorious for making dangerous decisions.  It is part of his personality.  He likes to do crazy things.  It doesn't seem like any of the other guys are into the same activities.

Another red flag would be when the locals say that they would not try to canoe down the river.  If I asked a local about something that I was about to do, and they said don't do it you better believe I would turn around and go home.  It doesn't make sense to take that risk.  Lewis goes ahead with the plan though.  It's almost as if he has something to prove to someone.

I also thought it was bad Lewis takes the wrong road going to the river.  He acted so confidently when he made the turn, but he eventually learned that he made the wrong choice.  If he makes a decision like that on the river it could cost the men their lives.

A good example of Lewis inexperience occurs when he gets turned around on the river.  He and his partner struggle to get their canoe pointed the right way.  He has boasted the whole time that he knows what he's doing, when in fact he doesn't.

It seems like there is foreshadowing on every page.  I'm ready to find out what is going to happen to these guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment